Whether you just spilled a full glass of ice tea or a hot cup of coffee, here are a few tips to help you take care of them. Whatever type of spots your dealing with never scrub the carpet. You might remove the stain and be stuck with an area of carpet that now looks different because of the damage you created to the carpet fibers from the rough scrubbing action. This will cause excessive wear in these areas. Remember to blot not scrub. Here are some steps you can take to help you with your carpet spot and stain removal needs
For liquid spills follow these simple steps:
1. The faster your response the better, liquid with the help of gravity will soak down in your
carpet and depending on the quantity can soak into the backing of the carpet and in some
cases into the carpet pad.
2. With a clean white towel blot the stain working from the outside in.
3. Apply a good amount of pressure on the towel while blotting. Possibly even standing on it.
4. Make sure to move the towel to a clean dry area and continue to blot.
5. Keep blotting until there is not anymore transfer from the carpet to the towel.
6. You can use a spray bottle with water to help rinse the area followed up by blotting. Don’t
soak the area.
7. If stain remains try a cleaning solution of 1/4 teaspoon of non-bleach detergent mixed with
32 ounces of water. Always test any spot remover in an inconspicuous area to make sure
it does not discolor your carpet.
8. Repeat step 6 to rinse the area.
9. A small household fan will help dry the area.
10. For stains with large amounts of liquid spilled place a clean dry folded white towel on top
spot you worked on. Set a heavy object on top of the towel.
When dealing with large quantity spills remember that as the spill begins to dry any remaining deep spills will wick there way up to the tip of the fibers through capillary action as the carpet dries. This is why you will have some spots that come back quickly. When placing a towel on top of the carpet with a heavy object on top - like a set of books- will allow the spot an area to go into rather than stopping at the tips of your fibers. Remember that there are certain spots and stains that are best left to professionals. One of these would be ink. So if your unsure or having trouble with spots on your carpets leave it to the experts at Reliable Carpet, Upholstery, Tile & Grout Cleaners for professional carpet spot and stain removal in Mascoutah, IL.